- California Dream Center at The Record Plant will offer the first post-baccalaureate program of its kind in the country. The key elements will include
- A 9-month, accredited, post-baccalaureate certificate program. To be accepted, mentees will have to show that they have the experience, knowlCENTER, skills, and creativity to participate in an advanced program of study at a near-professional level.
- A learning model and curriculum structure that emulate the real world’s entertainment industry and actually interface with it to give The CENTER’s mentees ongoing professional experience.
- The curriculum will be composed of team-based projects that require individual mentees with differing but complementary skills to collaborate in a challenging environment.
- Mentees will have the opportunity to have some of their projects considered for professional release or used commercially via an imprint with Sleeping Giant Music.
- Access to current entertainment executives and artists.
- Each of The CENTER’s mentees will pursue one of four tightly integrated tracks within the curriculum. The mentees will work collaboratively in small teams to complete creative/commercial projects while also receiving instruction in the final stages of career preparation. The teams will complete both weekly as well as semester-long studio and live projects.
- Performance/Songwriting -The CENTER will only enroll performers who are also songwriters. Emphasis will be placed on staging, image, interviewing, networking, relationship with management, and collaboration with mentees from other tracks on both studio and live projects. Weekly live performances will be recorded for regular assessment.
- Engineering/Production - Emphasis will be placed on artistic/creative aspects of the recording process to help students educated as engineers emerge as producers. Individuals in the track will work in collaborative on both studio and live projects with mentees from other tracks.
- Business/Industry - Emphasis will be placed on embedding mentees within the music industry to provide a full school year of professional experience as well as collaborative work on both studio and live projects with mentees from other tracks.
- Videography/Photography – The first educational program anywhere to concentrate exclusively on videography and photography for the music industry, the track will emphasize collaborative work on both studio and live projects with mentees from other tracks in addition to real-world apprenticeship opportunities.
The CENTER draws its name from its relationship with still-active The CENTER musical sites located in Los Angeles. These will provide the The CENTER's mentees with an opportunity to work on special projects in locations that reverberate with the history of American popular music. Historic venues partnering with The CENTER include
East West Records
The Village Studios